Bradley Smith

« Older   Newer »
The Fizz
view post Posted on 5/5/2009, 00:34

Bradley Smith (born November 28, 1990 in Oxfordshire) is an English motorcycle racer, currently competing in the 125cc Grand Prix World Championship. He has been a regular frontrunner, recording one win, six podium finishes as well as three pole positions in his four seasons in the class. Eurosport commentators Toby Moody and Julian Ryder have frequently noted his reputation for being at his best while leading races.

Early Years

Smith's father raced in Motocross, and the family owned an open practice track. Smith got his first motocross bike aged six.

Smith applied for selection to the Auto-Cycle Union (ACU) academy for young racers, but was never chosen. He spent a year in 2004 aged 13 competing in the Aprilia Superteams competition, finishing fourth behind three ACU Academy riders. In January 2005 he was asked to compete for the year in the Spanish 125cc championship as part of the MOTO GP Academy, winning the last three races ending the year 2nd just one point behind the champion.

125cc World Championship

For 2006, he joined the Repsol Honda 125cc Grand Prix World Championship squad, managed by Alberto Puig finishing 19th overall and rookie of the year, with a best result of 8th place in Motegi.

Remaining with the team in 2007, he took a first podium with third place at Le Mans. Nine more top-10 finishes left him 10th overall.

Smith signed with the Polaris World Aprilia team for the 2008 season. He secured his first pole position at the opening round of the season at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar on March 8, but suffered a technical problem while leading. A number of midseason injuries affected him, but he scored podium finishes at Jerez and Le Mans (after briefly leading the five-lap sprint required by a red flag for rain). He lead at both Assen and Sachsenring, but finished off the podium in both. He ended the season sixth overall, with three poles and four podium finishes but no victory.

For the 2009 season, Smith has been signed by Jorge Martínez' Bancaja Aspar team to continue to ride an Aprilia, alongside Julian Simon. The deal also includes an option to race in 250s for the team in 2010. Smith won his first ever Grand Prix with a dominant performace at Jerez in May 2009. Smith had almost signed for the team in 2008, before signing for Polarisworld.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Smith_(motorcyclist)

*ely #7*
view post Posted on 10/5/2009, 09:57

Thank you for the bio!
When he made his debut in 125cc, I don't know why but I hate him. Now I don't mind him at all... :) And his first ever victory has been wonderful. :lol:

The Fizz
view post Posted on 10/5/2009, 19:41

Sure has been wonderful after all of these years of him being in the 125 class that he finally got a win under his records. I hope for more wins for Bradley.

2 replies since 5/5/2009, 00:32   100 views